The first blacksmith established his vulcan works in 1873. Then the building firm Swann & Simpson was operated in Maitland.
In 1906, the Harris brothers, Henry Thomas and William John, built their shop here. They offered coach building, blacksmithing, oxy welding, wheel wrighting, coach and motor painting and general engineering work. They were renowned for their trolleys and big wheel type stone gatherers. They retired in 1944 and machinery agent, R C McKnight took the premises, followed by J & D Southwoods in 1956.