Maitland Institute

  Located in the heart of the city, the Maitland Town Hall is a highly sought-after venue, playing host to theatrical performances, receptions. Its foundation was laid on the 16th of January in 1882 and was opened exactly 2 years later. It had every thing from offices to bathrooms and hall with seating for 450 […]

J.O Tiddy and Co Ltd

James Oxenberry Tiddy purchased lot 8 on 31 July 1873. He erected a general store and began trading as Tiddy and Kitto. In 1882 he built what was described as a ‘handsome shop’. In 1913 they became a limited company and they expanded to branches at Ardrossan, Weetulta and Edithburgh. He went into partnership with […]

Maitland Hospital

The Maitland Hospital foundation stone was laid on November 11th 1911.  The first owner was called Hon J C. Bice. The nurses quarters were built in 1921 and the maternity block was opened in 1927. The new hospital was built in 1972 and it has been upgraded over the years. There have been a lot […]

Maitland Motors

This was the site of Dahlhem’s carpenter shop. Messrs Bowey and T Bowen built one of Maitland’s first garages here.  In 1916, L M Gilbert became the proprietor and secured an agency for Buick, Ford and Fiat cars. In 1922, he installed the first petrol bowser in a South Australia provincial town. Gilbert was joined […]


Southwoods The first blacksmith established his vulcan works in 1873. Then the building firm Swann & Simpson was operated in Maitland. In 1906, the Harris brothers, Henry Thomas and William John, built their shop here. They  offered coach building, blacksmithing, oxy welding, wheel wrighting, coach and motor painting and general engineering work. They were renowned […]

The Congregational Church

The first church building on this site was an iron structure opened on Easter Sunday 1875, and dubbed the Iron King. This building was opened in 1883 with seating for 142 people. In 1915 the Primary Room was added. A memorial porch was opened in 1921 in memory of members who served in the first […]

Yorke Valley Hotel

   The Yorke Valley Hotel was built in 1877 for James Pearce, brother of the towns first carpenter. The hotel was described as containing 20 rooms, including private sitting rooms, parlours, excellently ventilated bedrooms, and a bathroom. It became the stopping place for coaches between settlements on the Yorke Peninsula. Ten new single  bedrooms were […]

Maitland Bakery

Realising the demand for a local bakery, Aaron Jarrett built his bakehouse. His first bread supply was baked in March 1878. The business changed hands many times until 1899 when it was bought by William Otto Mullner who built two new shops in 1914. In 1916, baker and pasty cook, Thomas Edward Ash, purchased the […]

The Post Office

Post Office The first Post Office was in a private home just south of the town. In 1874, it was transferred to Tiddy and Kitto’s store. In 1878, a Post Office and residence were built at the corner Robert and Elizabeth streets by Messrs Hague and Lake for $1,070. A new post office, with private […]