Bert Matthews was the man who started a business here in Maitland in the early 1900s. Some of the later owners of the business include Messrs Koch and Ayles, David Simpson and George Rider, who came to Maitland to help new car owners.
Thomas Winstanley (Stan) McPharlin was the proprietor in 1917 when an electric light generator was installed in a power house at the rear of the garage to supply electric light and power to the town. When Gunnings was used as the main power station of the town, it held 110 volts of electricity until Maitland upgraded it’s power to 240 volts.
Gunnings have been associated with this business, and held a Ford dealership, since 1927 and the old Gunnings building is currently being used for storage.