Maitland Hotel

The Maitland Hotel was built in 1874 by James O’driscoll. It had one storey and served as a meeting place for local townspeople, who used it as a community hall. The second storey was added later with a large billiard room on the ground floor. When extensive alterations were made in 1950, the single storey […]

Catholic Church

Maitland Catholic Church The foundation stone was laid on 23 May, 1875 by Father Frederick Byrne and dedication followed on 5 December by the Bishop of Adelaide Rev C. A. Reynolds. In July 1884, the interior walls were plastered, a porch, vestry and gallery added. These renovations were needed after the roof of the church […]

The Uniting Church

Originally a Methodist Church it was opened on Christmas morning, 1875. It was built at a cost of 800 pounds by J Swann and the Mason C Hicks. In 1904 the stone Sunday School was built at the rear of the church. A porch was added in 1912 and a wood and iron kindergarten room […]

Church of England

Church of England St John The Evangelist From 1873, church services were held weekly, near Ynoo at the Government Well, in the homes and huts of the settlers. The foundation stone was laid in December, 1874. A porch and vestry were added in 1901. The altar was dedicated in 1920 in memory of members killed […]

The Maitland School

When opened in 1878, the Maitland school consisted of a residence and one large room. It housed 80 children and cost £938 to build. Further stone rooms were later added over the next hundred years as numbers increased and the school went from primary to higher primary (1922) and an area school in (1943). A […]

BankSA

BANKSA The former “BankSA” previously the “State Bank of Maitland” has a long serving tradition, providing service to Maitland since 1879.The former “BankSA” used to occupy the former Savings Bank building which was constructed in 1928 with local limestone by Maitland’s, Peter Brickmann. It was enlarged to accommodate the merged bank staff following the 1984 […]

Gunnings

Gunnings: Bert Matthews was the man who started a business here in Maitland in the early 1900s. Some of the later owners of the business include Messrs Koch and Ayles, David Simpson and George Rider, who came to Maitland to help new car owners. Thomas Winstanley (Stan) McPharlin was the proprietor in 1917 when an […]

National Bank of Australasia

The National Bank opened a branch in Maitland in 1884 but business proved disappointing and it closed in 1886. In 1906, the branch was reopened in a private house with Mr. A. G. Schroeter as Manager. The site was then purchased for £180 and a building to provide branch premises and residence was erected at […]

The Butcher

Maitland Butcher   James Harper, one of the first butchers in town, opened here in 1875. Following his death the next year, the business was bought by Mr. C G R Cane, butcher and farmer. John Thomas, bootmaker and saddler of Maitland, had conducted his butchery near the corner of Robert and Samuel Streets. He […]